Leaves Returning to Trees Stripped Bare by Hurricane Harvey

Brian Donegan
Published: September 14, 2017

Destructive winds from Hurricane Harvey, which made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 130 mph near Rockport, Texas, on Aug. 25, stripped the leaves off many trees.

But there's some good news: After nearly three weeks, the landscape is starting to turn a bit greener as trees begin to grow their leaves back at Goose Island State Park.

Leaves are returning to trees that were stripped bare by Hurricane Harvey at Goose Island State Park near Rockport, Texas.
(Twitter/Texas State Parks)

(MORE: Hurricane Central)

Hurricanes can frequently interrupt a tree’s ability to photosynthesize and store energy.

In response to the damage, the tree sends out epicormic shoots, typically referred to as sprouts, found mostly along the top and at the tips of branches, according to a publication by Edward F. Gilman and Traci Partin of the environmental horticulture department at the University of Florida.

The tree uses energy, or starch, stored in the living wood to produce the sprouts, which temporarily weakens the tree. Allowing sprouts to grow will rebuild the starch reserves and other energy-storing compounds, increasing the strength of the tree over time.

(RECAP: Hurricane Harvey)

The tree's age, size, species, health and the extent of the damage also factor into the recovery. 

In general, younger, smaller trees are able to recover more quickly than older, larger trees. Additionally, healthy trees recover faster than those in poor health, and trees less-severely damaged will sprout more aggressively than those that suffered heavy damage.

Also, live oak and buttonwood trees typically resist decay and recover from damage much better than laurel oaks, which often have severe internal decay after a hurricane, according to Gilman and Partin.

(MORE: After Harvey and Irma, How Much of the Atlantic Hurricane Season is Left?)

Brian Donegan is a digital meteorologist at weather.com. Follow him on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

The Weather Company’s primary journalistic mission is to report on breaking weather news, the environment and the importance of science to our lives. This story does not necessarily represent the position of our parent company, IBM.

Featured Blogs

Meteorology of Saturday's Colombian Flood Disaster That Killed 254

By Dr. Jeff Masters
April 3, 2017

At least 254 people were killed in the in the city of Mocoa (population 40,000) in southwest Colombia near the border of Ecuador early Saturday, when torrential rains triggered a debris flow on a nearby mountain that surged into the town as a huge wall of water carrying tons of mud and debris. The disaster is the fourth deadliest weather-related disaster in Colombia’s recorded history.

Iconic American Destination Virtually Isolated for Rest of Year

By Christopher C. Burt
March 24, 2017

Half of the village of Big Sur, on the coast of central California, has lost its only access to the north following the demolition of the flood-damaged Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge along State Route 1 (also Rt. 1 or SR 1) on March 19. Although Rt. 1 to the south of Big Sur has reopened to traffic (after mud and rock slides were cleared) it is a long 70-mile journey along the windy but spectacular highway to Cambria, the next town of any significance where supplies can be had. CalTrans (California Department of Transportation) estimates it will take 6-9 months to rebuild a new bridge over the canyon.

An extraordinary meteorological event; was one of its results a 1000-year flood?

By Stu Ostro
October 5, 2015

The confluence of meteorological ingredients the first weekend in October 2015 resulted in an extraordinary weather event with severe impacts. Was one of them a 1000-year flood?

Why the Arrest of a Science-Loving 14-year-old Matters

By Shaun Tanner
September 16, 2015

By now, many of you have heard or read about the arrest of Ahmed Mohamed, a 14-year-old high school student from Irving, Texas. Ahmed was arrested because school officials called the police after he showed one of his teachers his homemade clock. Mistaken for a bomb, Ahmed was taken into custody, interrogated, shamed, suspended (still on suspension today, Wednesday), and reprimanded. All of this after it has been found that the "device" he brought to school was indeed, a homemade clock.